Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I did a circuit breaker test and found a problem. I found an item upstairs that never shut off with breaker?

I did a circuit breaker test by first turning everything on in the house from appliances to lights etc. I was by myself so it helped me to know which things shuts off via the circuit breaker. I found that everything shuts off on whichever amp circuit it is on when you go to turn amp off on circuit breaker except my computer upstairs. What is causing that? How is it the computer is the only thing that does not shut off when breaker is off? I have tried everyone of them, none of them shut off that circuit the computer is on. I was testing to see what is drawing in more power than others, but found that too during the test.I did a circuit breaker test and found a problem. I found an item upstairs that never shut off with breaker?
dtstellw... is most definitely on the money with his answer, in my experience breakers do malfunction from time to time, If you identify what breaker supply's that circuit try turning it on and off a few times until it works and may save you the time replacing it.
The above answers may be well founded, but in my experience each floor (or a room in some cases) has an outlet that is deliberately wired separate from all others on that floor/room.

This is so when there's a major problem with the balance of the circuitry and there's no electric feed, there's always one that is independent: and would still provide lights %26amp;/or power for troubleshooting, or remodeling, or what ever.

It may be on a dedicated line, or in with another circuit breaker.

If I were you, 'walk' through the entire fuse box and determine what breaker services that outlet, then mark the inside of the box door with that location...it might be easier to do than rewire the entire system.I did a circuit breaker test and found a problem. I found an item upstairs that never shut off with breaker?
If you plugged in a computer with battery backup it may have been running on battery

If not, you either missed a breaker or you have a SERIOUS electrical problem!
If you had a UPS you would know. A small one runs about $100 and is the size of a shoe box. Really good ones are nearly as large as your tower and run several hundred dollars. And mine beeps every few seconds anytime the power goes out.

It is entirely possible that 2 circuits are tied together*. It is also very possible you have another panel some where else. Look for a sub panel inside the house and if not then check your meter. It may have a sub panel next to it, or it maybe a combination meter and panel.

* If you find this to be the case, you need someone to find and correct this problem. It is a potential shock/fire hazzard. Typically happens when amatures tie into existing wiring. Have a licensed electrician check your entire electrical system for that and other problems you don't yet know about.I did a circuit breaker test and found a problem. I found an item upstairs that never shut off with breaker?
I'd say marie and harley got the answer to your problem.
if it's a laptop it has a battery, if it's a desktop it may have an uninterruptible power supply backup, otherwise there is a wiring fault
change some lightbulbs!
It is possible that somebody has tied wires from two circuit breakers together, and you would have to turn them both off at the same time. Try doing the test the opposite way, turn them all off, if the computer stays on you have a faulty breaker. If it turns off then turn them on then off one at a time and see if more that one breaker turns that circuit back on. If two circuit breakers turn it on then you may have to hire an electrician to hunt down the likely points where the wires are crossed.
  • harry potter games online
  • language translation
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment