Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Computer is not fully responding. ?

I may of deleted something that I wasn't suppose to. So I reformated my computer. Now I can not drag and drop files and sometimes click things on open windows (i.e. windows, dropdown boxes, toolbar). Also when I play online games i can not click anything. But if I open another window and make it the active window, I can click on the stuff on the window behind it. I have downloaded every up to date drivers I could. I tried a repair install. What else could it be?Computer is not fully responding. ?
Is this windows XP home edition?



If you did not hold down F6 when the xp installer started to load drivers, you probably did not set the HAL layer properly. Holding down F6 brings up a little box in the installer...



Single Core Processors - Monocore processor with ACPI enabled

Multicore Processors - Multicore processors with ACPI enabled



This is what is called "forcing the "HAL" layer, or hardware abstraction layer.



ACPI has to be ENABLED IN BIOS.



See this article:



http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340



http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314088



The HAL cannot be fixed when it is corrupt. It can only be re-written by reinstalling the OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment